2020 SOCIAL MEDIA MARKETING INDUSTRY REPORT How Marketers Are Using Social Media to Grow Their Businesses.
Executive summary This study surveyed over 3700 marketers with the goal of understanding how they're using social media to grow and promote their businesses. Keep Reading and you'll discover:
• The top social media questions marketers want answered: We reveal the big questions marketing pros want answered about social media. • The time commitment: We examine the weekly hours marketers invest in their social media efforts. This analysis will be helpful for marketers just getting started or those seeking support staff.
• Most-used social media platforms: Discover which platforms marketers are using and how their usage will change this year. We also examine which platforms experienced marketers are using.
• Social media networks people want to learn more about: In this section, we reveal the social platforms that marketers are most interested in learning about.
• Other analyses: We also examine the role of content in social media marketing, paid social media and how marketers respond when new networks emerge. In addition, we take a look at how business-to-business (B2B) companies differ from business-to-consumer (B2C) companies and whether the size of a business has any bearing on results.
How to use this report: Regardless of your experience with social media marketing, there's something here for you. If you're a beginner, take a look at the time commitment, benefits and platforms that your peers are using. If you're experienced with social media, compare yourself against other marketers, see which platforms they're looking at next and determine whether you're achieving the same benefits as your more experienced peers.
Major findings Here's a quick summary of our primary findings:
• Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn hold the top spots for future plans: A significant 66% of marketers plan on increasing their use of these social networks.
• Marketers want to learn most about Facebook: While 93% of marketers are using Facebook, 68% want to learn more about it and 62% plan on increasing Facebook activities. • Video becoming important: A significant 57% of marketers use video in their marketing; however, 72% want to learn more about video marketing and plan on increasing their use of video.
• Pod casting on growth trajectory: Only 10% of marketers are involved with pod casting, yet 26% plan on increasing their pod casting activities and 43% of marketers want to learn more about pod casting.
• Facebook and LinkedIn are the two most important social networks for marketers. When allowed to only select one platform, 52% of marketers selected Facebook, followed by LinkedIn at 21%.
• Most marketers aren't sure their Facebook marketing is effective: Only 45% of marketers think that their Facebook efforts are effective.
• Tactics and engagement are top areas marketers want to master: At least 91% of marketers want to know the most effective social tactics and the best ways to engage their audience with social media. The above summary is merely a taste of what's in this report. On the following pages, you'll find more than 80 charts that visually convey some fascinating findings. For example, we look at which social networks are used by those who invest the most time in social media marketing, the benefits achieved by those who've been at this for years and how marketers respond to new social networks.